I drove downtown today to a beautiful private college campus to pick up tickets to a dance concert that my husband and I are going to on our date tomorrow night. I parked the car in the only spot available marked “15 minute parking” and rushed to find the building to purchase the tickets.
The groundskeepers were driving around in their topless golf carts, covered in dirt. The camp leaders were standing in the street watching their 8 year-old campers cross safely. The cafeteria crew was assembling the tables under a white tent on the front lawn for some evening dinner about to happen. The birds chirped loud enough for me to hear them and the smell of a hundred year old building brushed my nose as I entered the hall to complete my ticket purchase.
I quickly paid and walked back out onto the campus. I had ten minutes left on my honor system parking. (Was anyone really watching me as I parked, noting my arrival time? I don’t think so.) I wanted to just sit on the front steps of the elegant old building and soak up all the history and collegeness that was there. It was the most beautiful afternoon and the campus was ready for it’s new brochure cover shot.
Something was tugging at my heart. I wanted to be there. Stay there. You know the feeling when you walk into your first home. You just know it’s going to be yours. It just feels right. I have this strange feeling that comes over me every time I step foot onto a small college campus. This just happened not too long ago as well when visiting our friends out East who work at a college. We toured the campus together and the same feeling just filled me up.
Could this be a sign? Could this be a God whisper? I’m not sure. All I know is that I wanted to stay. I wanted to be a part of that atmosphere that filled my every nook and cranny as I walked across the crayon green grass back to my car. Someday. Maybe, one day I’ll be back on a small college campus and stay for a while and trade my 15-minute parking pass for a "staff only" parking pass. Just maybe. I’ll have to wait and see.

No comments:
Post a Comment