I pulled into the parking lot at the high school yesterday to pick up my oldest son. Since there’s no locker space for anything (including books) I meet him after school to deliver his baseball gear, he grabs a quick snack and changes while we head over to the field for practice.
If you’re familiar with high school parking lots, it’s a madhouse. I won’t go into the details, as it’s just not interesting, but let’s just say it’s a little chaotic to get where you need to go. I decided that I would arrive a few minutes early, to get a prime spot near the door and save him some walking.
Arriving early usually means I can read or listen to the radio quietly for a bit while I wait. Today I had a treat.
Three minutes after I pulled in, three students (I’m guessing who were seniors who got out earlier, or last year’s graduates picking up a younger sibling) parked along the side of the curb diagonally from me. I quickly realized there would be no quiet reading or radio listening today. Instead, I was treated to ten minutes of filth. I don’t even know where to begin to describe what I saw and heard.
Two girls and one boy proceeded to use language and derogatory slurs (I will spare you the details) that I have never heard the likes of in my entire life. Not even on the worst COPS show where they arrest the drunks and bleep every word out were as offensive as their words. The music blared at full volume. The lyrics, which they were singing as loud and as annoyingly as they could, were repulsive. What mother and father actually approves of this type of music for their child to listen to? I mean really? I could not believe what I was hearing. Other parents quickly rolled up their windows. I did not. I wanted to hear them. I wanted to know what they were thinking. Why were they doing what they were doing?
They continued to smoke their cigarettes and offered two other students to join in their obnoxious behavior, (thankfully which both declined.)
I wanted to say something, but what? Why even bother? I didn’t want to make trouble for my son.
What has happened to these lost souls that they had to be negative with every breath and word and display their ugliness for all the world to see? Why this behavior? Did their parents talk this way about others? Did they even know what they were saying? Did they have nothing positive in their life to be proud of? How do these kids get to this place in their lives? Why are these choices made? Are these the students that fell through the cracks and everyone gave up on?
I had so many emotions as I sat in my car, but the feeling that hit me the most, was sadness. It was obvious these children and they are still children, have no role models whatsoever and no one to guide or lead them in a positive way. Truly sad to see.
I wish all children could be surrounded by people who love and care for them and who only want what is best for them, but sadly, this is not the case. Our world is ugly sometimes and kids need guidance to help them filter through it. They aren’t all ready to face the world at 18.
No comments:
Post a Comment