In general, I would describe my youngest son as pretty reserved and generally quiet and low-key. He does however, have quite a sense of humor and surfaces sometimes when you least expect it. Yesterday was one of those times. We were in the kitchen after school, getting homework out and he was scavenging through the snacks when he turned around and announced that one of his friends told him about three ways to put your arm around a girl. This was completely out of the blue. (He obviously had been waiting for the right time to show us his new found skills.) This is how it went.
MY SON:
Method #1: Counting Shoulders
The first way works by counting shoulders. You have to stand with the girl on your right and say, “Hey, let’s count shoulders!” With your right hand, you start by counting your left shoulder, then right shoulder, then her left shoulder and end with your hand on her right shoulder. The way he counted it out made my head spin. It was beyond funny. “One, Two, Three, Fooooouuuur!” He was raising his eyebrows and using very “grown up” facial expressions and quite the infliction in his voice.
Method #2: I Caught a Fish Story
Again, the girl has to stand on your right and you begin explaining to her that you went fishing and caught a fish, “I went fishing and caught a fish this big,” (hands show length of fish to be about 6 inches apart). “Then I caught a fish this big,” (hands show length of fish to be about 20 inches). “And the last fish I caught was thiiiiiiiis big,” (right arm goes behind the back of the girl allowing you to place your hand on her shoulder). He had the same tone and expression and I could barely hear the last method because I was laughing so hard!
Method #3: Pirate’s Parrot Shoulder Preference
Just like the other two ways, the girl has to stand on your right. This one is short and quick.
“Which shoulder do pirates prefer to put their parrots on?” “This shoulder?” (Hand touches
his left shoulder.) “Or thiiiiiiis shoulder?” (He places his hand on her right shoulder.)
His delivery was impeccable. Unbelievably funny. It was as if he had practiced it in his head ten times before he got home to show us. And the part that made it so hilarious was the fact that it was so out of character for him. His tone and actions were so grown up and not to mention the subject matter was so beyond his circle of topics (at least at this point in his life).
He even showed Nani (all on his own, mind you) the three methods and couldn’t stop smiling while he demonstrated his techniques for her. I haven’t laughed that hard in quite a while. Plus, I couldn’t get past the fact that this was a discussion he and his friend actually had out at recess.
Who needs television or any other entertainment when you have children to amuse you?
What a delightful tale! Innocence is precious, isn't it? How did Nani take the demonstration? I'll bet all of us would be very surprised at some of the conversations that take place at recess at school. I vaguely remember myself at his age....I too was bashful but I doubt if I would have fallen for more than one of those "ways to put your arm around a girl" techniques. But then, that WAS a few years ago.
ReplyDelete