Friday, August 19, 2011

Quiet is Not Overrated

The summer has come to an end here at our house and the boys are happily back at school with friends and textbooks and red felt tipped pens (which were quite the difficult supply to find, I’ll have you know.)   They’ve been in class for a week now and today is the first day that I have had a few moments to myself to, well, do nothing.

I’ve taken this morning to unwind a bit from the school supply shopping, hair cuts, doctor check-ups, orientation days, ice cream socials and clothes shopping (which is a whole other blog post for another day).   It’s been a quiet morning to say the least.

I’ve chatted with my neighbor from our decks, I’ve caught up on e-mails,  read a few of my favorite blogs, had two cups of tea, made chicken-salad for lunch later and am having a wonderful time.   Not a sound in the house.   It’s refreshing for me and has given me a chance to recharge my battery, so to speak, and refresh my thought filled mind.

photo credit
Quiet is one of my favorite sounds.  Is that possible?   It’s necessary in my life.   I’ve found that I’m in a better mood; feel happier, if I’ve had some quiet around me.  It doesn’t have to be a long span of time, but a good hour (or two or three) doesn’t hurt either.   In my book, quiet is not overrated.  It is a layer I desire throughout my week and so appreciate it when it makes its way into my calendar.

The candles can be smelled, the dishwasher hums, but no talking can be heard and no music is being played, just the pitter-patter of quiet.  Can you hear it?  I hope you can find a few moments to enjoy the breeze and listen to the quiet today.  Enjoy the peace.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I love quiet! I'm glad you had a day to enjoy some of it. Hopefully you have many more ahead. :) Thanks again for your sweet comment over on my writing blog. It brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ginger! Just wanted you to know that I am a faithful reader of yours and that we're very similar in many ways! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails