I’ve been pondering lately. I ponder in the car or in the
tub or sitting on the deck. I’ve
realized you can ponder just about anywhere. Pondering can be exhilarating or it can be a down right
dirty task. I’d have to say my
pondering falls somewhere in between.
I’ve been pondering my skill set recently. What am I good at? Am I an expert at
any one thing? Do I have skills
others don’t? If so, what are they? What do you call my skills? These are the thoughts I’ve been
pondering of late. Pondering because I believe we all have a purpose and unique
skills and it is our task to seek that purpose and go forth into the world and
make a positive impact.
I have many skills. I can be a leader and a follower. I love to brainstorm and problem
solve. I thoroughly enjoy
researching and finding answers. I
am a creative soul and love to dive into a project, but do better at
duplicating a creative vision than developing one of my own. Writing has become an outlet for me and
delight in the satisfaction it brings my soul. I can organize any given area, drawer or closet in the blink
of an eye (but promise me you won’t look in my kitchen junk drawers, because
you’d call me a liar.) I am a
great time manager and multi-tasker and can almost be in three places at
once. Really. I can.
These are life skills and I probably have many others I
haven’t listed, but the one that continues to play over and over in my mind is
simply….I notice things. I am a
Noticer. Is that a real word?
Notice:
The act of noting or observing; perception or attention. Respectful
attention or consideration. To
perceive with the mind, to detect.
To treat with courteous attention.
This is one of my strongest skills I’ve come to
realize. Now, granted, we all
notice things, but I think there are different levels of observation.
There are the “ten feet in front of my face” noticers who
notice the grandma in the grocery store shopping for spaghetti and has on a
bright yellow dress and red shoes.
Then there are the “hmm…that was interesting” noticers who
notice the grandma in her yellow dress and that she’s using a old calculator
and nods hello to her as they pass but don’t think too much about it.
And then there are the “Noticers like me” who notice the
grandma’s ankles are spilling out of her red shoes that are probably 25 years
old and two sizes too small and her yellow dress doesn’t fit any longer and
observe that she is opening and closing her wallet and continually counting her
one dollar bills as she adds the amount of each item she’s just placed into her
cart and tells her husband they won’t be able to have sauce with the spaghetti
this week.
This is the art of noticing.
This is a skill, for lack of a better term, that I
possess. Is this a skill? I don’t really know, but it is part of
my every day life and being a Noticer gives me opportunities to act or not
act. The definition itself uses
the word “treat” as a verb; to treat with courteous attention. Most of the time, being a Noticer
requires action, at least for me it does.
I could buy an extra bottle of spaghetti sauce and quietly
ask the clerk to give it to them as they check out as an “item they must have
forgotten” or I could just give them $2 from my wallet and tell her she
“dropped them”. I have an
opportunity to act and can if I choose to do so.
Maybe that’s why I enjoy writing so much. There are stories to be told when you
are a Noticer. The little details
that others don’t see become the thread that holds the fabric together and in
an instant an entire yellow dress can be seen or not seen.
So, today, I have pondered and now embrace one of my life
skills as an important one that others might find trivial. To me, however, being a Noticer has
given me great insight and at times such profound peace and am happy that I can
add “The Art of Noticing” to my ever changing list of skills.
We are kindred spirits my dear friend. We are so much alike in so many ways, it blows my mind! It always amazes me that every time you write something about yourself I can see MYself. I LOVE that! One of these days we are going to have to meet in person.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, just so you know... I believe that "noticing" is a gift and I feel the same way. I love "noticing" and the joy it gives me when I have helped someone else because I noticed. And pondering is such an important part of our spiritual self. I have gained so much insight this way and have always been a ponderer. It's funny you wrote about this today because I was thinking about this exact same thing this morning and thinking about writing something along these lines as well. :) You beat me to it!
I'm so happy you shared this today.
I agree. We are very similar and it's funny to watch the flow of each other's writing as we mirror thoughts at times. I have always been a ponderer and a noticer and felt they were just something I "did", but now feel as if they are skills, if you will, that are unique to me in ways. My spiritual self has been growing so much in the quiet times and feel it is necessary to keep me on my path and moving forward. One day....maybe one day we will meet each other. That would be nice.
Delete