Music is part of my life everyday. I can’t think of a day that I haven’t listened to something on the radio, my computer or on my ipod. It has a way of boosting my spirit or calming me down from a busy day. I think I would always choose to have music on over the TV any day. It’s peaceful or joyous or just loud and rowdy, whatever my heart is in the mood for.
I’ve even been that “one” at the stop light who has the music on too loud as we all come to the intersection. Which is probably a sight to my stopped neighbors, a mother with her baseball cap on, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel, shaking her head to the beat in her little black VW. Sometimes I turn it down, but usually not. I can get into a music zone and everything else around me is just filler. And, it’s not really that loud, or at least I don’t think it is.
I’m pretty open to what I listen to and will try listening to just about anything, that is except Jazz. I can’t tap my toes to it and is just too, uh, I don’t know, free roaming. Just don’t care for it. I listen to The Weepies, Rosi Golan, Lifehouse, Prince, The Judds, Snow Patrol, Nora Jones and Sting to name a few.
I would have to say my favorite type of music is Alternative/Folk music and three of my six CDs in the car are filled with unusual singers and styles. The other three belong to the boys and often listen to CD #4, song 18, “One of Us” by Joan Osborne. They love this song and especially like the way it starts with the little old lady singing…..”oh one of these nights at about twelve o’clock….” They always laugh at her voice! It’s created some good conversations in the car though. What would you do if God was one of us, just a stranger on the bus? (Thirteen and nine year old boys have some thoughts on the subject.)
I find that I go through phases with the music I listen to at home though. I’ll listen to the same album over and over for weeks and then won’t listen to it for months. My favorite artist right now is Carrie Newcomer and her album Geography of Light. Her voice is a little raspy which keeps your attention. My favorite song is “Geodes”. It’s wonderful and I love the lyrics. My record is 11 times in a row. It’s on right now as I type this. I hope you listen to your favorite music today and find just the right song that fits your mood, the song with all the notes played just in the right order for you.
….....God walks around in muddy boots, sometimes rags and that's the truth. You can't always tell, but sometimes you just know. Some say geodes are made from pockets of tears…....
No comments:
Post a Comment