Ok, so I’ve been a little preoccupied with getting ready to move that I’ve slacked off on my writing this week. I’ll try to catch up, although I won’t make promises I might not keep. The reality of moving has quickly taken over my every waking thought and am realizing this morning, just how busy I’ve been. The laundry has now become a mandatory chore for the day. I don’t think the boys want to wear their pajama bottoms as pants to school this week. The cats’ litter box is…I won’t even go there. The dishwasher is filled with clean and dirty dishes because I just can’t think straight and the bathroom mirror looks like a tube of toothpaste had a late night party.
But ask me what I’ve packed and I can tell you that the basement is 95% done due to my kids sorting through their boxes, my husband sorting through his work boxes and my mom helping me throw away all the “keepsakes” that weren’t exactly keepsakes. The basement is now organized into three very distinct areas: Sell, Donate and Keep. The Sell pile is making our garage sale look promising while the Donate pile is a little on the skimpy side, but am sure after the garage sale, will grow in size quickly. The Keep pile is the one that has me a little worried. It truly only has items in it that have a place in the new house or a specific use, but it is still taking up much of the basement. There are only three boxes of the boys’ keepsakes that probably won’t get opened again for 15 years, but it was more like nine boxes when I started. Please don’t tell them I threw away the gingerbread man that got thoughtfully cut out and had red string glued on for hair and old buttons for eyes. Please do not tell them that I threw away their science journals they wanted to keep that had pictures of the seeds they grew in 12 different stages and I beg you not to tell them I threw out their paintings of birds, spiders, Martin Luther King and the tissue paper butterfly they spent three art classes making. It’s just too much to keep.
Today I will take the stage and will conquer the last remaining boxes, five to be exact and purge it down to two. It will be difficult because the last five are my crafting supplies. I promised I would, so I have to keep my end of the deal as well and get rid of those things that are nice to have, but only use if you remember you have them. I don’t really need a circle cutter or 29 magazines about crafting. (I only ever use three of them.) It will be hard, I know, but also know that moving into our new home and having a spot for everything will far out weigh any feeling of loss I will have as I toss out scraps of scrapbooking paper (this is a big no no in the scrapbooking world).
So today I have the energy of an Olympic athlete finishing up her last week of training before the big day. I will conquer the basement and the closet and the kitchen and the garage and the bookcases and the pantry and the…
See you at the finish line.
No comments:
Post a Comment