I have two amazing children. They never cease to amaze me with their beautiful minds and spirits. As their mother, I want nothing but the best for them and try to teach them all the things that are important in life. Knowing how to cook a few meals, how to change the sheets on their bed, how to wash their baseball and cub scout uniform, how to fill the car with gas, how to make friends, how to study for a test, how to drive (not quite ready for this one, but it’s coming) to name a few, but the list goes on and on.
The one thing I didn’t count on when I became a mother, was how much I would learn from them. I think as a mother, we have this notion that we have so much to offer our children; our mistakes and what we learned from them, our love, our life experiences. We bring that baby home from the hospital nervous, yet we’re filled with all the things we plan to teach them and share with them. Mother School doesn’t mention all the benefits they will provide you and all the life lessons they will end up teaching you. My boys have taught me a thing or two.
They’ve taught me….
…that sometimes plans change and you have to go with the flow.
…that they worry about us like we worry about them.
…that just because I like peanut butter and jelly doesn’t mean they will (neither does).
…that sometimes it’s easier to talk to your friends about certain things than your parents.
…that being in your pajamas all day doesn’t make you lazy.
…to not assume to know what they’re thinking, because it’s usually wrong.
…that having your picture taken all the time isn’t always a good thing.
…it’s ok to sit in your room by yourself and just be.
…that I’m not always right.
…to understand that their point of view is just as valid as mine.
…that it’s ok to apologize even though I’m the mom.
…that they really do hear me when I speak to them.
…to be patient.
…to appreciate their differences.
…that sometimes hand-me-downs aren’t as cool as they once might have been.
They are the rubies in my crown. They are the sprinkles on my cupcake.
They make me laugh and they make me proud to say I’m their mom (mommy to one still). I love all they’ve taught me and am certain this is only the beginning of many lessons to come. And I thought I was the teacher.
I've learned too from my son and the things you listed are "things I know for sure"
ReplyDeleteC