Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Speak Softly

I have a little piece of paper in my pocket right now that says, “Speak Softly.”  I wrote it yesterday as something to try and do differently.  (You can read about it here.)  I plan to keep this in my pocket for some time.  It doesn’t mean to speak in a quiet voice, but to rather speak words that are soft, loving, kind and encouraging.  I have moments, like I’m sure you do as well, that I don’t speak softly and that’s why those words are in my pocket.

I wonder why a 17 year-old boy goes into a school and shoots a gun at the administrators and then kills himself.   I wonder why a 22 year-old man shoots people in the grocery store and then smiles for his mug shot. 

I wonder if someone didn’t speak softly to them.  Were the words people used around them too hard for their hearts to hear?  

Did words cause them pain in some way? Were they wounded by words themselves?  



It really hurts to hear these stories and in no way do I blame the parents or those close to these young men for the gunman’s actions.  They chose to do what they did.  They are responsible for their actions.

Yet. Still. Wonder.

If soft words had always been spoken to them, would they have made the choices they did?  Would their worlds have been different?  It’s a question we’ll never know the answer to, but it has touched me deeply to see these sad young men hurting so much that they have to hurt others as a way to release their own pain. 

I want my words to my children and to my husband to be spoken softly.  Will it make them stronger people?  Will it make them feel loved?  Will it make them know my love for them is the greatest emotion I have?  I hope so.  I hope so. 

Words are powerful things and can be used to change the world, one word at a time.  My words should be spoken softly and maybe they will rock my children’s and husband’s world, one word at a time.  Today and tomorrow and the many days after that, I will be conscience about that little piece of paper in my pocket.  It will remind me to speak softly.  To speak softly.

2 comments:

  1. Stephani, I love this post. You are so right. As a Mom and wife, I often feel guilty if I say something to Adam or Alan that is just a little harsh. I wonder: What effect will that have on him? Is it enough to say, "I'm sorry"? Kind words can never hurt and we could all stand to make a conscious effort to speak softly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! My little slip of paper in my pocket is still there and still reminding me! Words are very powerful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails