I know you’ve been waiting for it. It’s one of the biggest events of the year (at least in Liberal, Kansas, it is.) It’s less than 24 hours away and will be filled with excitement for everyone. Tomorrow isn’t just another Tuesday, it’s Pancake Day in Liberal, Kansas. You heard me right, Pancake Day.
It’s a day filled with pancake eating contests, beauty pageants, talent shows, church services, pancake running races for all ages and a parade down the center of town to finish off the day. How do I know this you ask? Because I used to live in Liberal and even marched in a parade or two of my own playing the school fight song in that very parade.
For over sixty years now, this little Midwest town has been running races with Olney, England, and comparing their race times to see who is the fastest each year. The ladies of the race wear their red kerchiefs, apron and must carry a frying pan complete with a pancake and run the 415 yards to the finish line. To be official, they must flip their pancake at least once during the race.
This is a big day in Liberal, so don’t make fun. The pageant queens ride in the floats, the tap dancers of the area get to compete for the prize money, and the 16 year old boys get to eat as many pancakes as they want, all vying for the blue ribbon of pancake eating. This is America. This is small town, U.S.A. It’s just plain ‘ole good fun.
To big city folk, it may seem a bit hokey, but when this is your town, your life, it’s exciting and a chance to celebrate your town’s uniqueness. If we lived closer, I’d pack up the family and go tomorrow. I’d love my boys to see where I grew up, went to school, and show them what small towns have to offer. Heck, maybe we could enter the family race and run for a medal of our own.
Every town has their claim to fame, and this just happens to be Liberal’s little moment to shine. It’s a way to kick off Lent with a little more flare than just a prayer and your head bowed at the table. Be sure to check their web-site tomorrow for the names of the race winners and the latest pictures from the parade. You just might see us in the background waving at the pageant queens as they drive by.
Feel free to click here, for more information about International Pancake Day and all the festivities. So, in honor of my home town's celebration, I will be making pancakes for my boys for breakfast. Won't you join in the fun?


I love this! Thanks for sharing your hometown tradition with us. We have a similar day here where I live in August. This used to be a big logging community before the government shut it down. On our day we have a whole bunch of lumberjack activities, kid rodeos, pancake breakfasts at the park put on by the fire station, etc.
ReplyDeleteI love small towns. I really got a kick out of the lady's race. I would love to see that. It sounds like fun!
Happy Pancake Day tomorrow! :)