Thursday, March 31, 2011

Can You Do A Backbend?


When I was eleven and maybe even a little bit older, I could do a backbend.  Not from a standing position mind you, but from starting on the floor and pushing myself up into the back bend position.  It’s was easy. I could even walk a few steps.  I was flexible.

I’m no longer ten and am pretty sure I can’t do that backbend.  I’m a little more stiff and don’t really have a need to do a backbend anymore. 

When I was eleven and would go over to a friend’s house, we never had any plans for what we would do once I got there.  We listened to the radio, we put on make up, and we played on the swings at the park.   We were flexible.  We were open to letting the day unfold as it may.  

I miss being a little more carefree.  As an adult, it’s not always easy to be flexible. At least not for me.  I sometimes have a struggle with the unplanned and off-schedule things of life.  Not to say I don’t enjoy being spontaneous and getting up on a Saturday morning with no plans and deciding to head to the mountains for a picnic and a hike, because I do enjoy that.

As I’ve had a few birthdays (and I’m not telling how many) since I was eleven, I’ve lost a little of that flexibility.  Ok, so I’ve lost more than a little, but I hope it’s not gone forever.  Maybe it’s just a skill I’ve put on the backburner and needs a little stiring.  I’m quick to say no and should be quick to say yes.  I need to practice that.  I really do.  I don’t want to miss out on all those happy unplanned events that make memories for us. 

Maybe, I need to try to do that backbend again. What could it hurt?  And, who knows?  Maybe after a few attempts, it might be easier and easier each time.  Like pulling taffy, right?  It’s hard at first but the more you pull, the easier it is.  Life doesn’t always happen according to my nicely printed calendar on the fridge.  There needs to be more space for the unplanned and unexpected.  There’s joy to be found there too.

I’m off now to practice some back bends in the family room.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails