Friday, April 15, 2011

The Four Minute Party


Today as I did my morning “straighten up” walk through the house, I noticed that the laundry seemed to have doubled overnight.  How is that even possible?  Did the soccer and baseball socks multiply like rabbits after I brushed my teeth and crawled in under the covers last night? 

I just do not like to do laundry.  Well, I found myself in this mood as I walked by the door to the washing machine several times this morning and decided I needed to do something about it.  (My first thought was to simply close the closet doors and make a wish that it would all disappear, but that didn’t work.)

I got out the broom and swept up the cat litter that’s flung across the floor so politely as our cats exit the box each time, took out the trash, swept behind, yes behind, the two lovely machines, washed the inside of the laundry soap dispenser, cleaned out the dryer vents and wiped down both machines.  It looked so clean and fresh.  It didn’t really make me want to do the laundry that much more, but it did lift my spirits a bit.

I got caught up in the moment of “having” to do my work and had a little pity me party (it wasn’t long enough to have sent out invitations, so don’t think you missed out on anything. It was only four minutes long.)  I changed my frame of thought, cleaned up the mess that was making me frustrated and my spirit started to lift.  If I focus on giving while I’m doing it, it really isn’t so daunting of a task.  I’ve already done three loads and even cleaned out the sock basket, so things are looking up.

So rather than hang the pity me party streamers, and set out the punch, I’ve decided to light a few candles, grab my new book, my hot tea and read in between loads and just get it done with a light heart rather than the woe is me heart.  Amazing what a little change in attitude can do, isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails