Tuesday, October 25, 2011

30 Day Project: Day 8 (Color) I Am A Sum Of All These Parts

When someone asks me what I “do”, I tell them I am a stay at home mom.  For that person, I do car pool, bake cookies (which YOU know isn’t true), volunteer at my children’s school, like to sew, always wear a baseball hat and tennis shoes, and am always in a hurry to get somewhere.

Well, I do drive for the soccer carpool, I just baked cookies last Monday, teach at my son’s school, have a broken sewing machine in the closet, wear a baseball hat some days, and yes, am in a hurry on Mondays and Wednesdays.

However, that isn’t who I am.  That job description doesn’t define me as a person, at least not for me.   I really think we should ask each other, “What makes you happy?”  Don’t you think that’s a much more relevant question?

I think so.

Wouldn’t we learn so much more real truth about a person if we asked that instead?  Just because they teach school doesn’t mean they like to draw with crayons.  Just because they operate satellites doesn’t mean they like science fiction. Just because they sell shoes, doesn’t mean they like to hike. 

I just might start a new trend and ask people what makes them happy when I meet them and see what happens.  It might be interesting.

Here’s what makes me happy…

I enjoy being creative and spending time with my family.   I love to take pictures of everyday life and listen to folk music in the car.  I am organized and fashionably challenged and always have tissue and band aids in my purse.  I enjoy watching movies and making popcorn and writing about life.  Peace and quiet are my favorite sounds other than a six month-old baby laughing.  I adore all things glittery and sparkly and kissing my husband and hugging my children.  I could sit in a boat on the water all day and drink sweetened iced tea at all hours of the day. I love watching PBS and learning about blue whales and appreciate handcrafted items.  I am happiest when those around me are happy and enjoying the comforts of their home.  That is what I do. That is what makes me happy. I am a sum of all these parts.




4 comments:

  1. So very true! What we DO per se, is not necessarily who we ARE. I love that you are fashionably challenged (lol :). So am I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are even more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Jan! So glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger, I am SO fashionably challenged you have no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails