Monday, October 31, 2011

Photo A Day: Day 14 (Light) History Of A Fork

This fork has been with me for 7822 days.  That’s 21 years, 4 months, 30 days.  I opened it from the box it came in.   We picked out the pattern before we got married.  (I think it’s called Juilliard by Oneida.  It’s still one of their top 10 patterns.)  I wonder how many times I’ve eaten off of its long tines?  I wonder how many friends and family have used it when they’ve come to our home?  

When I opened the silverware drawer last night, I saw the gold tip peaking out from underneath the other various patterns lying on top of it. I dug it out from the bottom of the pile.  I wanted to use it.  It spoke to me.  (No it didn’t actually speak and say, “I want spaghetti! Pick me! Pick me!”)  You know what I mean.

I saw it and it said,  I’m part of your history.  I’m part of who you are and were 21 years ago.   I’m something you loved as a young bride so long ago.  I think if I were to look in my keepsake chest in the basement, I have a page from a bridal magazine where I saw it and just had to have it.

History.  Everything has a history.  Everyone has a history.  Things, people, smells, tastes, colors, sounds, all have different meanings for each of us. Their history is our history. Purple to me, reminds me of my cousin, Kris and her long blonde hair.   Walking into any school cafeteria and smelling the food for the day, puts me in the gym at McKinley Elementary School.  The wafting odor is still the same.   The Barney song makes me laugh because I can see both of my boys sitting on the laundry baskets watching him dance.  The song “Knights in White Satin” can be playing in the elevator and I instantly think of the first time my husband touched my face. 

All this from a simple fork sitting at the bottom of the fork pile.

Funny how something so simple can make you think about so many things. 

My little fork with the gold tip.  

Filled with stories. 

I don’t know if my boys know that it’s the silverware we picked out.  I might need to tell them.  They’ll think I’m being silly again in sharing something out of the blue, but hey, that’s what moms are for.  Making their kids think, right?

All because of the history of a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails