Friday, December 2, 2011

December Goodness

Last Friday was cold.   The kind of cold that cuts right through you and almost burns.  The wind was blowing so hard.   It was not the kind of day you wanted to be outside.   I felt bad for all the Black Friday shoppers. (Ok, I didn’t really feel bad for them because it was their choice and they could have stayed at home by the fire.  No sympathy from me.)

At about 7:14AM, I opened the garage door and took the trash can out and set it by the curb for pick up (which is from 7:15AM to 5:00PM, but ours inevitably comes at 7:14AM, so had to hurry and get it out there.)  I parked it by the tree and ran back inside to warm up.  I grabbed my cup of tea and headed upstairs to my warm bed and Good Morning America.

Just a few minutes later, I heard the beep of the trash truck in the neighborhood.  Whew!  I barely made it.   I hopped out of bed and walked over to see if the lid was still on and sure enough it was.   As the truck backed up to our driveway, I pulled open the blinds and opened the window and shouted down to the trash man.

“Thank you so much for being out in this cold today and picking up our trash!” I shouted loudly over the truck noise.

“What?” he hollered back.

“I just wanted to say thank you for taking our trash and being out in this cold weather this morning.  I really appreciate you doing that.”

“Why, thank you, ma’am.  Have a good day.”

“You too!” I shouted back to him.

He smiled and hopped up onto the back of the truck as the driver drove off.  

It was a simple gesture, but it made him smile.

Some things require such little effort, but the ripple they create can be astounding.  As December comes with all its expectations of shopping and cooking and traveling, try and be patient with the store clerk, or the car that nabs your parking space or the kids as they get anxious for school to get out.   Simple gestures, simple words can make someone’s day and you could be that someone. 

I hope you will practice some December goodness this week and offer a kind word or a little card on your neighbor’s car to let them know they are worthy and appreciated.  Think how you’d feel if you were on the receiving end of the gesture.  Good, huh?  




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails