Thursday, September 6, 2012

Action Is The Best Weed Killer


I went for another walk this morning and boy was it gorgeous out.  The air couldn’t have felt better.  The sprinklers were going and the birds were bathing in the arches of water in the yards.  A neighbor was getting a new sidewalk poured and others were walking their little ones to school.  I sat for a few moments on the bench at the park around the corner from us and just took in all the blue sky that I could.   I felt so at peace.

As I headed home the other direction, my thoughts began to turn toward the day and what needed to get done when a dandelion caught my attention in the corner of our yard. 

Uuughhh.   

The yard has been looking so good lately and it irritated me that it was rearing its lovely yellow head in my lovely green yard.

It made me think for a minute.

That little weed changed my mood for a moment. 

It irritated me. 

It made me realize I have work to do in the yard.  It was something that required my action and attention. If I just ignored it and let it be, it would eventually become fluffy and white and scatter all over the lawn and create an even bigger mess for me later on.  I needed to take care of it and not put it off. 

We all have “weeds” in our lives that need our attention.  Maybe the junk drawer is your weed and creates a tension in you when you can’t find the scissors over and over.  Or perhaps getting the oil changed in the car has been on your list of things to do for two weeks, but you never find time.  We all know where that story leads if it is ignored for too long.  Instead of a $39 oil change it becomes bad rods and bearings and engine wear and a bill of $659 plus labor and two days without your car.  All that from one weed.

As I came back into the house, I thought about that little weed and how it’s actually an opportunity for action.  Weeds require me to do something. 

I have several weeds growing in the yard of life as I type this and know that if I just clean out the front closet or straighten up the garage or balance my checkbook and do the necessary action on my part, the weed will disappear.  Action is the best weed killer there is and think I might need to get on my hands and knees and pull some weeds today.




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your analogy! So perfectly fitting and so very true. I've let so many weeds creep in since I've been so distracted over the last few weeks. I need to get to work and take care of them next week after I get home. :)

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog today. I got it on my phone and it was just what I needed as I was hustling and bustling this morning. I survived the day and I could feel your prayers - so thank you for that too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails