It’s made me think about my own life and the happiness I find each day. Could I be happier? Are we truly 100% responsible for our own happiness? Can we really choose to be happy everyday? Is it difficult to be happy? Why do some people always seem to be happier than others? What is their secret? How could I make myself happier? Is there a limit to how happy you can be?
These thoughts have been coming into my head more frequently now that I’ve read the book. I’ve been mindful of the “aura” I’m projecting to my family, my friends and myself. Am I being my true Stephani? To be honest, I really hope so, but think sometimes I could be more cheerful or playful. I tend to gravitate to the side of the room of conservativeness too often. A chuckle, not a boisterous laugh, a toothless smile, not a grin from ear to ear. Is this a bad thing? I’m not sure.
In the book, Gretchen spent a year on her happiness project and created all sorts of lists, charts and guidelines to follow and try. She encourages everyone who reads the book to start their own project and I think it’s something I’d really like to try. I’m really good about getting started and thoroughly enjoy list making (I think it’s an actual hobby of mine), so I’ve got that going for my project, but I tend to get lax in the “follow-through” department. I just don’t have that “stick with it come hell or high water” attitude, thus my hesitation to start something I might not be able to complete.
I may need to ponder this for a bit, but if I decide to take the plunge I’ll let you know. I think if we focus on happiness in general, we automatically feel happier. We could all use a little more happiness each day, don’t you think? I do think it’s a choice, but a choice that you have to be engaged in. With life so hectic some days, it’s difficult to focus, but I know that when I wake up and am mindful of my words and attitudes, I’m kinder, more gentle and in return, happier, more joyful, find delight in the world and just generally more gleeful.
If you’re curious about the book, I would recommend it. You’ll finish it in no time and it may inspire you as well. I’ll keep you posted on my plans for my happiness project and if/when I decide to begin, you’ll be the first to know.

No comments:
Post a Comment