Why then, has it taken me almost a week to recuperate from our trip? It’s now Saturday evening, and I’m just beginning to feel the energy coming back into my body. I think I’m just in need of some soul space. Time to reflect. Time to be quiet.
When you’re on vacation, at least with children, the vacation is generally focused on them and their entertainment needs. We try to do things for us as well, but always try to keep their wants and wishes in mind. That can be draining. When we’d really like to just read on the deck, they’d rather play soccer, cousins against aunts and uncles. (You know who wins that coin flip.)
I think this week has been one of catching up (bill paying, laundry, checkbook balancing, grocery shopping, friends over and the like) and a week to let my mind wander a bit. It’s been refreshing to not have plans everyday and not have to be somewhere at a specific time.
This week, I’ve played Boggle with my sons, played solitaire with my husband each evening, left two loads of laundry to be folded, read on the couch with my sons, made homemade pound cake, read on the deck, and searched for strawberries in my strawberry patch. (I think the birds have discovered them and so won’t be making homemade strawberry preserves anytime soon.) I needed this week to stretch my soul a bit and listen to the sun rise.
I know that very shortly, school schedules will be in full force and new markers and notebooks will inundate our lives. So, tonight I’m going to enjoy a hot bubble bath and read on the deck in my pj’s with my son and watch the sun set on a beautiful week. My soul is spacious today.
No comments:
Post a Comment