Words are fascinating to me. They are the fabric of our every thought and feeling. They mean so much when said at the right moment and can hurt when said at the wrong time. They are strength for us and give us the possibility to express ourselves at a very simple or very deep level.
I have to admit however, that I don’t have a Webster’s vocabulary. I have more of a Reader’s Digest vocabulary where the words are simple, basic, get the point across type of words. However, when you’re in the car with your children and they ask what “juggernaut” means and you think you know but don’t want to be wrong, what’s a mom to do? (I have now downloaded the dictionary.com free app for my iphone so this won’t happen again!)
As I write more each day and read more each day I am realizing how limited my vocabulary really is. (I’ve always known this, but it never really bothered me until now.) So, I have decided to take the February Vocab Challenge 101 (which I have conveniently made up for myself - and you’re welcome to participate if you’d like) and learn a new word each day. The fun doesn’t stop there however; not only do I (you) have to commit the definition to memory, but I (you) have to use the word three times that day in my (your) writing or conversations.
Yes, I realize it’s the 3rd of February and have already missed two days of the challenge. Have no fear. I’ve already taken care of that. Today, I (you) must learn three words. Oh, come on. We can do it. We’re not that old are we?
For the month of February, I will post the word of the day along with the definition at the bottom of my post and come February 28th, we’re going to be so smart we’ll have to buy ourselves a new leather bound dictionary to put on display in the family room! Won’t we be fancy schmancy?
I hope you will join me in the challenge! And, if for some reason I forget to post the word, just let me know. After all, I’m a simple woman with a simple mind and may forget one day.
Here are our three words for the day. Remember, three today to catch us up. We can do it! Oh, and if we already know the word, yeah for us. No homework that day (except to use the word in your writing or conversations).
FEBRUARY VOCAB CHALLENGE 101
Days 1, 2 & 3
spartan: (adjective) Lacking in comforts; marked by self-discipline or self-restraint.
helut: (noun) A serf or slave.
milliner: (noun) Someone who design, makes or sells women’s hats.
(Yeah! I knew all three. Now to use them in my conversations. This ought to be good.)

No comments:
Post a Comment