Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Steal Your Heart Day"

I don’t know why I picked brown, but I did.  It was supposed to represent me and be unique to me.   My mom embroidered an “S” on the middle of the big heart and then we hung little hearts from brown satin ribbons from the big heart. I still have it. One of the hearts that dangled from the large heart was made with ribbon and sugar water to make it stiff so it would hold its shape.

I think it was called “Steal Your Heart Day.”  The student council held a contest on Valentine’s Day (I think it was in 8th or 9th grade).  All the girls were supposed to make a heart of some sort to pin onto their shirt and wear it to school on Valentine’s Day.  The only rule for the girls; do not talk to the boys.  If you did slip up, then you had to relinquish your precious heart to the boy who got  you to talk.  They essentially “stole your heart” that day.   It was a clever little contest.  I think I kept mine almost all day and then lost it to a boy named Benito who kept staring at me, obnoxiously, and making kissing noises during English.  He smiled when I said, “Ok, fine. Take it.  Just quit staring at me.”

I think he was declared the winner that afternoon and probably won a prize.  He had the hearts pinned all over his shirt and jeans and was so proud of himself.  He did however, return my heart to me at the end of the day, which I thought was very nice of him.  Most of them probably ended up in the trash, but I wanted to keep mine and he knew it.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, I have fond memories of the day my husband stole my heart forever.  He was giving a presentation to about 60 of us and stared at me during the entire thing.  I’m sure everyone noticed, but it didn’t matter to us. The day ended with a walk and a kiss.  He had stolen my heart and I knew it.  This time however, I didn’t want my heart back.  It was his to keep.  I wanted him to have it.   That was almost twenty-two years ago and my heart still flutters when I think of that day.  It was definitely “Steal Your Heart Day” for me.  I hope each of you will have a happy Valentine’s Day next week and you let someone steal your heart. 


"Steal Your Heart Day" Heart - circa 1980s

_____________________________________________________________________

FEBRUARY VOCAB CHALLENGE 101
Day 7
valetudinarian: (noun) A weak or sickly person, especially one who is constantly or overly worried about his or her health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails