Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Cat Throw Up And Two Gum Wrapper Kind Of Day

I’m having one of those days.  You know the kind.  The kind where you start off by hearing the alarm clock and decide to close your eyes for three more minutes and then get up, only to realize that when you look at the clock again it’s been twenty-three minutes not three. 

It’s 11:38 AM and the bed isn’t made.  I just put the groceries away that I bought at 9:15AM.  I know!  (I dare you to say one word about it.)  Nothing melted and we won’t get food poisoning from the carrots and Oreo cookies that were sitting out. 

I feel like my head is on someone else’s body today.  I’ve bumped into the car twice getting into it this morning.  I didn’t put any socks on for the quick trips to drop the boys at school and my little toe hurts now from my cute little white Pumas. 

I tried to open the kitchen junk drawer only to be reminded that it is filled with enough junk to fill two five junk drawers and the one day old pink scissors I just bought aren’t in there when I need them.   There are 400 books of matches, three phone chargers (two for phones we no longer have!)  (If you even think of saying something now, I would warn against it.) and two gum wrappers.  Yes.  Wrappers.

The cats’ litter boxes are WAY over due to be emptied.  The fish aquarium is becoming an algae experiment and the sock basket is now upside down on the laundry room floor where the cats played chase and the socks lost.  Folks, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

The doorbell rang and as I peeked around to see who it was I stepped right into a pile of two day old cat throw up!  I am essentially still in my pajamas with a sweatshirt thrown on over them and my hair is sticking out in all directions. (Putting your hair in a ponytail in the dark doesn’t always turn out like you think it does.)

I forced myself to sit down with my computer and just spew it out so I can move on with my day at almost noon.   I’m not in a bad mood, but just feel out of sorts and don’t like it one bit.  I like order. I like neat.  I like my scissors to be in the right drawer.  I prefer the cats to throw up on the wood floor instead of the carpet.  I like to shower and be dressed for the day at 6:15 AM not 12:30 PM. 

Breathing slower now.  I hope I didn’t scare you off?   I know you’ve had one of these kind of days and am comforted when I see the other moms in the grocery store in their pajamas and their ponytails lopsided and sticking out of their hats.  I understand them.  I get it.  These days happen and life will go on and come into balance once again, even if it is at 9:45PM tonight.  Thanks for letting me calm down.  Now to carry on.

(P.S.  I did throw the two gum wrappers away.  I’ll get to the old phone chargers tomorrow.)


3 comments:

  1. You described me on almost every Saturday! I would have more of those kinds of days in the middle of the week if I didn't have to get up and go to work. I'm sorry you are having a rough day. Sometimes you just need a day to stay in your pajamas... and it's ok! I haven't cooked my kids a real dinner since Sunday and they are even resorting to not eating breakfast because they are so sick of cereal... oh and I put our LAST roll of toilet paper on the roller last night... if I forget to get some at the grocery store again today we might be in a world of hurt! Plus I think there is only 2 inches of milk left in the fridge... it never ends, does it?! Good thing tomorrow is a different day! I hope you feel better tomorrow... until then, rest. It does a body good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your understanding. I guess when it rains it does pour. I'm doing much better now and just left everything the way it was and took a bath. A bath will do the mind a wonder of good. Cleaned house and now am feeling a bit more on top of things and not quite so "ten steps behind". Thanks for your encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I completely agree with bubble bath therapy! Bubble baths are the only thing that got me through the baby/toddler/little kid stage when I needed some "me" time! I'm glad you are doing better! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails