I’ve started this post three times over the last ten days and keep deleting it. I don’t know why. Perhaps my guilt has finally caught up with me and I need to get it out of the way!
I do not recycle.
I do not clip coupons.
I waste water.
There, I said it. Now why don’t I feel better? These three things have been weighing (4th grade spelling word this week) heavily on my shoulders and I think it’s because I’m supposed to be doing something rather than just letting the thought wander into my head and then quickly drift out again.
Let’s start with the first one, RECYCLING.
I throw away a lot of trash. Too much if you ask me. I throw cardboard, plastic, paper, aluminum and the list goes on and on. I’m lazy, I guess. Having so many different containers to put the trash in, just isn’t my idea of neat and tidy. I don’t want to bother taking an extra step to mess with trash. I have so many things on my “to do” list that adding one more to it will require me to carry around a ream of paper tucked under my arm. Not real convenient! But, those are all excuses. I’m smart enough to know that I’m contributing to the landfill problems of the world and the last thing I want is some poor dolphin to eat my Starbucks cup and die. I care about the dolphins. Really, I do, but my actions don’t show it.
Let’s take a look at the second one, COUPONS.
I come across 30-40 coupons a week and just flip on by them and go on to the next page in my magazine or flyer as if saving $1 wasn’t good enough for me. The convenience of it is my excuse once again. You have to find the scissors (which in my house can be a day long event) cut it out, find a place to keep it AND most importantly have to remember to take it with you to the store and actually use it. Too many steps. But, those are all excuses. I know that 15 coupons at $.75 each is $11.25 in my pocket. That’s two new pair of soccer socks, or lunch with a friend, or two bargain books off the Under $4.95 table at Barnes and Noble. Why isn’t this important enough for me to take action? I care about money. Really, I do, but my actions don’t show it.
Let’s take a look at the final item, WATER.
I like my water. I water our yard, I drink it, I cook with it and indulge myself by taking a bath almost every night. I leave the faucet on when I brush my teeth and when I’m rinsing dishes and run my dishwasher when it’s not all the way full. Shame on me, I know. How could I when there are truly children who don’t have water to drink? That one tugs at my heart knowing I’m not helping conserve this precious resource that I am so privileged to have at the tap of a finger. I should be more careful. I care about our world. Really, I do, but my actions don’t show it.
I think it just comes down to being completely lazy. It’s an ugly word to use to describe myself, but as the saying goes, “If the shoe fits, wear it.” I need to make some changes. I need to make a phone call to my local trash company and find out about their recycling program. I need to buy the Sunday paper and create a “coupon station” in the kitchen to keep and store them in. I need to shorten our sprinkler system cycle times, turn off the water when I brush my teeth and cut my bathing down to once a week (ok, so maybe just showering instead would be good enough). I am an intelligent woman, but my actions don’t show it. By this time tomorrow, I will be a “green”, coupon-clippin’, water-conservin’ team member of the world and my actions will show it. Just you wait.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete