I am the mom of a Webelo this year. You know what that means, don’t you? It means we have the pleasure of going camping, twice this year. (Did you notice I used the words pleasure and camping in the same sentence? I’m trying to be positive about this.) For those of you who know me, I’m not much of a “roughin’ it” type. I’m not above doing it. It’s just not on my top one hundred ten list of things I enjoy.
I prefer this type of camping.
Not so sure about this type of camping.
I’ve only slept under the stars one time and it was in our fenced in back yard a few years ago. Not a horrible experience, but I did have access to running water and the bathroom 15 steps away if I needed it. For the camping event this weekend, we’ll be going to a Boy Scout camp in the mountains complete with bugs, snakes and the occasional bear (although they swear they haven’t had one in a long time). Plus, in our neck of the woods, fall has arrived and the weather isn’t 95º during the day and 75º at night. It’s more like highs in the mid 70s and lows in the 40s. (Note to self. Don’t forget to pack extra socks and a scarf. Ugh. What am I getting myself into?)
I know that once we get there, it will be a great experience for us and that we’ll have a good time hiking, geocaching, fishing and roasting marshmallows around the fire. I just need to keep reminding myself that I’m doing this for my son. His enjoyment. His happiness. His sense of accomplishment. We’ll set up the tent, blow up the air mattress (that I borrowed from our good friends who have all things camping), help set up the rest of camp and have a great time with the other scouts and parents earning belt loops, pins, and badges along the way.
And, who knows, maybe I’ll learn the name of some new constellations, watch a falling star, enjoy a ghost story or two and earn my “roughin it” belt loop. I will earn a belt loop, right?


If you see a snake.. don't tell me! ugh. you have guts, more than I do.
ReplyDelete