Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dust on My Dresser


Yesterday was a busy day for me.   Nothing pressing really, but just tried to do too much.  I’m an overachiever and think I can do everything in one day.  It’s not a good trait, but have always tried to get the “icky” stuff done first, then the “fluff” is more enjoyable.  This was my goal yesterday.

In the process of doing and putting away clean socks and other unmentionables, I realized that I haven’t dusted the two shelves of my dresser in quite some time.  I immediately thought to myself, “As soon as I get the calendar finished on my computer, I’ll get up there and dust it.”  Well, you know what?  I didn’t dust it. And guess what else?  I didn’t explode.  The world didn’t come to a screeching halt.  Martha didn’t come knocking on my door to do a dresser inspection either.

Why do we fuss over the little stuff that just doesn’t matter?  I find myself doing this all the time.  Why?   Is it the perfectionist in me?  Is it fear that someone will see my dust?  Pretty silly if you stop and think about it.   

When you were over at your friend’s house last time, did you take a quick peek in their bedroom to see if the dresser had been dusted?  I didn’t think so.  Did you look in the closet to see if their hats and gloves were color coordinated and stacked in neat piles?  Nope, me neither.

With that said, today I am going to relax and do what needs to get done, like the white load and the meat sauce for spaghetti. What ever else happens to get done today, will be the happy face on my plate.  I do know that I’m not planning on sneaking into anyone’s bedroom on dust detail any time soon, and don’t think anyone I know of has me on their list of places to white glove check either. So, I will enjoy the dust on my dresser and remind myself that there are more important things to do and be concerned about.   I hope you will let your dust settle today and let dust be dust.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the post I wrote two days ago. My brother is in Afghanistan and when I find myself stressing over little things like if I have dusted or if I have the house perfectly clean for my daughter's birthday part tomorrow, I think of him living in a tent, keeping his men safe and worrying about things much much bigger than ordinary household issues. It helps me to put things in perspective and not sweat the small stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails