Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tuesday's Observations

While riding the bike at the Y this morning, I glanced around to see if anyone I knew was there, when I saw it.   I laughed out loud.  A woman on the elliptical going rather slowly with a towel draped around her neck had a STARBUCKS Coffee sitting in the water bottle holder. Really? Is this the new trend?  I don’t think I’ll be participating in this trendy new gym accessory.   Not more than three minutes later, (I am not making this up) another woman the size of my nine year old, stepped onto the treadmill holding her STARABUCKS coffee since the treadmill water bottle holders are smaller.  Weird.  I have no other words, but weird.

My boys whistle non-stop. Whistling drives me insane with a capital I.  Within minutes of them getting up and brushing their teeth, they are whistling.  Coming downstairs to breakfast, they’re whistling.   Playing a game together, they’re both whistling.  I associate whistling with carefree living and not having a worry in the world, so I guess I should be taking it as a compliment as they are both content, happy and enjoy life to the fullest.  I just can’t seem to remember that however when they are actually whistling.  It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me.   I must say STOP WHISTLING 437 times a day.  I need a new tactic or just need to be glad they are happy.

The wind is blowing so hard today.  It has been doing this for almost 24 hours now.  Every leaf that was clinging for dear life to its branch has now disappeared from its home never to return (and will probably end up in Wyoming by tomorrow). Wind annoys me in every possible way.  It makes getting into the car difficult.  You have to hold the car door tightly so as not to hit the car parked next to you.  Your hair gets whipped into your face making it difficult to see where you’re going.   The house rattles and every newspaper in the neighborhood is blowing across the street.  I don’t like it one bit. 

While in the Indian food store this morning, I saw an elderly gentleman (I’m guessing he’s 82) that I recognized from the Y, looking at the chocolate bars in the store.  I don’t know him, but we always say hello to each other at the Y.  He recognized me and came right over to me and asked how I was and held my arm as if I was his best pal.  He told me he recognized me from the Y and how I always ride the bike for a long time.  We chatted and he encouraged me to come every morning instead of the two or three times I come (I had no idea he was keeping track) and that it would be good for me.  I couldn’t stop smiling.  He just wanted to chat and chat some more.  I introduced myself and so did he and told me he’d be looking for me tomorrow.  He was so kind and happy and just wanted to chat for a bit. It was lovely.   I feel pressure now to go to the Y tomorrow even though I don’t normally go on Wednesdays.  I wouldn’t want to disappoint Hal though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails