Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Change of Plans

Yesterday was my youngest son’s 10th birthday.  He had friends over on Friday for a sleepover and stayed up too late, had pizza and cheesecake for dessert and overall had a great time.  He has such a wonderful group of friends who are always a joy to have over, which makes saying “yes” to a sleepover so easy.

My sweet 10 year old.

On Sunday, we made Rice Krispie treats together so he could take them as snacks for his class on Monday, his actual birthday.  He melted the butter and stirred in the marshmallows.  I loved watching him stir and tell me, “I don’t need your help, Mom.”  He’s growing up so quickly. We packed them up and set them by his backpack to take to school.
Chipmunk cheeks filled with marshmallows!

Yesterday was his birthday.  This is how he spent most of the morning…an unexpected change of plans.
Home sick on his birthday.
Sick on the couch.  A head cold and fever.  He seemed to take it all in stride however.  Grandma brought him some “medicine” which closely resembled chocolate chip ice cream and I took him to Best Buy in the afternoon to use his gift card on a game he’s been wanting.  This will probably be a day he’ll remember and wanted it to have some “happy” memories from the day and not just of him being sick. 

I tried to get him to close his eyes (don’t dare call it a “nap” when you’re 10!!), but no such luck.

He felt better after dinner, so we watched The Sorcerer’s Apprentice together since he felt better.   Even after missing out on celebrating his birthday at school yesterday he still had a pretty good day…….ice cream, movie, trip to get a new game and popsicles on the couch. I told him that because he was home sick, that actually made his birthday one day longer and will celebrate it at school the next day.  He was thrilled with that.   So, I guess being sick on his birthday wasn’t all bad after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails