Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Mall Today

I actually went to the mall today for the first time in a long time.  I don’t like the mall at all.   Teenybopper shops, loud music, clothes in windows that no one really wears, and don’t forget the parking lot; just a few of the reasons I’m not a huge fan.

I was in search of a birthday present (or two) for our youngest son who will be entering double digits in a matter of days.  How did that happen?  It seems like only yesterday…..anyway.

I was walking through the mall with a mission to find A, B and/or C and was almost run over by not two, not three, but four texting, oblivious to the world in front of them, people.  I have to admit, I like my little gadget of a phone and use it to find phone numbers and to answer  the trivia question on the way home from school, but I just don’t have that busy of a schedule that I have to multi-task every moment of the day.  I certainly don’t text and walk into people.

As I walked the mall from store to store, I realized that almost everyone (probably 75%) had their phone in their hand or right up in their face.   There should be a word for it.   It’s like the walking dead.  Are they really searching for coupons for the next store ahead? I don’t think so.  Are they telling the nurse how much medicine to give to the patient?  I don’t think so.   Nothing they could be saying, browsing or texting could be more important than being polite to those around you. 

I really try to use my phone when it’s appropriate.  There are times when I am on it and I probably shouldn’t be, but I think those times are fairly infrequent.  It’s something I am conscious about, but I don’t think the rest of the world is, or at least they weren’t today.

Next time you’re out and about walking in public, take note of how many people you see with their phone in their face.  It’s a trend I’m not a fan of.  What happened to saying hello to people as you passed them?   What happened to that trend?  Just curious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails