I always knew I was destined for greatness. At least that’s what Oprah said in an old interview and she was right. She was destined for a worldly type of greatness and the world watches and listens to her and she does great things for humanity. The list goes on and on. She is “great” as defined by the majority of the world and by myself many days.
But…
Are we all destined for greatness? Are we all going to rock the socks off the world? I say, YES, we are. It’s a matter of perspective however.
Greatness comes in many sizes. For Oprah, her greatness touches millions and perhaps she touches the lives of millions more through all the beautiful work she does. That’s pretty great. For others, greatness comes by serving our country and protecting millions of people every day, by building homes for people who are in need, or by bringing clean water to communities who have never had fresh water. For me, my greatness tends to be on a little smaller scale. Miniscule to some, but hopefully to my friends and family whom I love dearly, I am enough.
My world is smaller than Oprah’s, but does it make my world less important, any less great? I don’t think so. Greatness is all around me. I have two adorable children filled with personality galore, hearts the size of Texas and all around joy emitting from their little bodies. I have a husband who loves me and supports every silly whim I have with gusto and applause and encourages me to follow my every dream and who thinks of everyone before himself. I have family and friends who I can share all the laughter and tears of life with and who cheer me on and pick me up when I stumble.
I have a purpose to be great. I, just like you and everyone you know, was entrusted with a goal, skills, and a purpose to be here and it is our duty to figure out that purpose and to use what has been given to us to the fullest extent possible. This isn’t always easy, but it is what makes us great. It is the very essence of our greatness.
In watching the Barbara Walters’ special last night, Oprah quoted a song by Bill Withers called, Use Me. The main line says, ”You just keep on using me until you use me up.” To me that is greatness. Recognizing that our greatness comes from within and when we use our gifts to benefit others, then and only then will our greatness shine like the light of the sun. We are all destined for greatness and it’s ours if we want it. Just stand up and take it, use it, until we're all used up.
Great post, Stephani. I think you're pretty great :)
ReplyDelete