Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'm No Fool; I'm Their Mom

It was about 8:45PM and my oldest was finishing up his writing project for school (which by the way, was assigned over two weeks ago and was essentially rewriting the entire thing at the 11th hour. I’ll save this subject for another day.) when he told me his eyes were still itching. He had had baseball practice in what seemed like a dust-bowl-dirt-hitting-you-in-the-face-wind-storm the day before, creating the perfect recipe for itchy eyes and sneezing.  Allergies aren’t his friend.  Of course we were out of the eye drops that work, so I grabbed my purse and made the four minute trip to Walgreen’s to purchase some relief and returned eight minutes later as the allergy hero (and no, I don’t have a cape, but that’s not a bad idea).  He finished up the assignment and headed to bed, ipod in one hand, eye drops in the other.   

My youngest son likes loves gummy worms of all shapes and sizes; however, he doesn’t care for the Black Forest brand of gummy bears and worms.  (No offense to Black Forest company workers, but he just doesn’t like them.)  If they are the only kind I have in the house, he’ll eat them, he’s not that picky, but he has a preference and I go out of my way on occasion to ensure he has the kind he likes. He’s flexible enough to know that sometimes we don’t get what we want, and there have been many a baseball game where he’s eaten the entire bag of Black Forest gummy worms with no complaints.  But if he asks, “Mommy, did you get gummy worms? The Trolli kind?” and I can reply, “I most certainly did.” To me, that fist pump, “yes” is all worth it to me. 

Some people would say it’s spoiling.  Others would say I’m damaging them for life by filling their every little whim.  Let me just say, that I say NO plenty in our house and if you ask them, I’m the first to say NO.  Daddy always says YES (again, another subject for another day).  If they ask to run through the drive-thru after soccer practice, I don’t always comply.  Some days it works and some days it doesn’t and they understand that.

So, when I have the time on a given day to make a special run to Walgreen’s or stop by the other grocery store for the Trolli gummy worms, does that make me a bad mother?  I don’t think so.  I enjoy providing for my children and want them to know that they can count on me for anything.  Anything.  Everything.  I will always be here for them whether it be they need an opinion on what to get their friend for a birthday gift, a hug in the morning, advice on how to resolve a friendship issue or if they need dill pickle sunflower seeds.  I want them to know through my actions and words that I am here for them.  Now, does that make me their personal maid?  NO.  Remember, NO comes easy for me.  They have to pick up their towels and dirty laundry and do their dishes. They take the trash and clean their rooms and take out the recycling. I’m no fool; I’m their mom. 

p.s.  This is my 205th post.  I know!  I can hardly believe it.  I hope you keep reading and following along on my writing journey.  I do so love to hear from you and read all your comments.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you and I have much in common in this department. I just left work to run to the store to get my youngest 4 pieces of poster board for his science class that he forgot to remind me about yesterday. I'm suspecting that he really only needs one, but he is tenderhearted and likes to have extra things for class projects for kids that forget or who have parents that won't get them. I just let him think that I think they are all for him, but I really know what it's all about. :)

    202 posts - Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a kind heart he has. Don't you just love being a mom? Thanks as always for being a faithful reader of mine and for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette Beasley5/26/2011

    Really enjoyed this post, and you are not spoiling or damaging your kiddos, only being a wonderful mom!

    Annette

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails