Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Date to Circle on the Calendar


I just got my new Budget Travel magazine (it’s the only one I actually read cover to cover) in the mail yesterday and it made me think of where we might go on vacation this summer.  We don’t have anything on the calendar yet and really would like a timeframe to look forward to. Be it a weekend away or a cruise, I’d just like to have a date to circle on the calendar. Have you ever noticed that if you don’t have something to look forward to, things can get a little blah?  I know life is busy and there are the weekly things to look forward to like book club, a soccer game, hat day at school, a great presentation you’re planning to give; but for me, having that one big day circled on the calendar to look forward to makes life a little more perky.   

I don’t know if it’s the anticipation and counting down the days to a trip that’s more exciting or the actual vacation itself. It’s hard to say.  I enjoy both, but would probably say that the anticipation is a bit more exciting for me. I love thinking about what the area will look like and what the “vibe” of the location will feel like. Will the weather be warm and comfortable?  Will we find a great adventure to participate in while we’re there?  Will there be any surprises we find along the way?  It’s always more enjoyable to daydream when that day is out there.

Plus, I’m one of those who love to pack early too.  Having my suitcase on the floor for the week leading up to the trip just adds to the excitement.   I don’t like to be rushed.  EVER. I don’t think well under pressure so planning ahead and making all the lists of “Things to Pack” and “Things to Buy”, is part of the enjoyment for me. I love the feeling of being prepared.  Having the boys ask, while we’re on the plane, “Did you pack our red goggles instead of the blue ones?” and being able to say, “Yes,” is very satisfying for me. 

Perhaps this week we should get the ball rolling and figure out when and where and for how long.  I need something to look forward to that doesn’t involve the grocery store or laundry.  I need to circle a day on my calendar and soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails