Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sore Throat


I was sound asleep as I heard my little guy say quietly beside my bed, “Mommy, I have a sore throat and it hurts really bad.”   I rolled over and looked at him and told him to go and get one of the sore throat lozenges from the cabinet in the bathroom.   He looked at me and told me that one of those wasn’t going to help at all because it hurt so badly.  I looked at him and a with little more firmness told him to just suck on it and it will help.  Whining was definitely not going to help and informed him of this.

I heard him rummaging through the plastic bag of drops in the bathroom.  I didn’t want him to be sick and sure hoped he wasn’t coming down with strep throat or a cold.  It’s no fun having a sick child.  A few more minutes went by and I thought I heard him crying.  (I had let both boys sleep on the floor in our room since Daddy was out of town.) Sure enough he was whimpering on the floor holding his cough drop. He saw me look at him so hopped up and came over to sit on the edge of the bed when he started to tear up even more and continued to tell me it still hurt.  I saw that he was holding the cough drop instead of sucking on it and told him he had to put it into his mouth if it was going to help at all.  Holding it was of no use. 

He put his left foot onto my chest and asked me to rub it.  I told him that rubbing his foot wouldn’t help his sore throat, and asked him to try and rest.  He started crying again, so I knew this was bad.  I asked him to open his mouth so I could take a peek and he started laughing.  He said it wasn’t his throat that hurt, but his foot.   We all started laughing.  I obviously heard him wrong.  Throat. Foot.  It all sounds the same when you’re half asleep.  We couldn’t stop laughing. I had told him to get a cough drop and that would help and he was so obedient and just did what he was told, but knew it wouldn’t help. Too funny.   We laughed out loud for several minutes and cried from laughing so hard.  I began to rub his foot as his tears quickly turned to giggles and the “”sore throat” went away.  


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails