Have you ever been stuck behind a turtle driver when you’re in a hurry? Have you ever been in line behind the woman who can’t find her check card and continues to dig in her purse looking for it while you huff and puff to yourself? It’s frustrating and inevitably happens when we’re in a hurry. Why is that? Is it because we have poor timing or bad planning? Perhaps we’re in a bad mood or it occurs on a day when the “to do” list is enormous and it just bothers us more. Or maybe, just maybe it happens because it’s supposed to happen.
I am one who has always believed that everything happens for a reason. I may never discover or understand the meaning behind what happens, but do believe that there is usually some purpose to the everyday events that occur and usually without our giving it much thought.
Not too long ago I was behind a lovely woman turtle driver, (we’ll call her Mrs. Turtle) and wanted to change lanes to go around her and be on my merry way. Just as I decided to turn my blinker on, a red pickup truck switched lanes locking me in place behind Mrs. Turtle. I sighed out loud in frustration. Not two minutes later, me still behind Mrs. Turtle, was a police officer pointing his radar gun out his window right at us. Needless to say, I was going the speed limit care of the pokey driver in front of me. I laughed to myself and didn’t give it much thought.
Remember, I am one who believes everything happens for a reason, so as I look back upon that moment, maybe, just maybe, Mrs. Turtle was supposed to be in front of me so that I would slow down and not be tagged by the laser gun. Mrs. Turtle was my saving grace, my “get out of jail” card without her even knowing it.
She was there when I needed her yet she knew nothing of it and was probably in her own little world listening to NPR. Does this classify as a miracle? Probably not, but it does make me feel assured that God is out there and he sees me and knows what I need better than I do.
It makes me wonder whether or not I’ve ever been someone’s Mrs. Turtle. Have I ever done something or said something that helped someone unbeknownst to me? Has God ever used me in this way, to assist someone, to protect someone, to enlighten someone? (Ok, maybe I’m hoping on that last one, but I think at some point we have all wished we could help enlighten others to be the best they can be.) Maybe I have, but may never know for sure. Only time will tell.
I am ALWAYS Mrs. Turtle. So maybe I have helped thousands of people and never knew about it. Thanks for making my day.
ReplyDelete