Saturday, February 20, 2010

Nothing Pleases Me More

Nothing pleases me more than when my children don’t respond to me calling them to dinner.  “Boys, it’s time to eat. Wash your hands and come down.”  No response…still no response.  It drives me batty; however, when it’s because they both have their noses buried in a book, I’m ok with that.   I am so thankful they have embraced the joy of reading at such an early age.  I know by the number of books they read, it will be a life-long activity for both of them.  Nothing pleases me more.

We were in Barnes & Noble today (our favorite store in the world) on a mission for my little guy to get a book he’s been wanting for a while and saved his Christmas money to buy. He headed straight for the section where his book was located while my older guy headed to his section while I struggled to keep up with them.  They both looked like book zombies walking to their assigned areas in the store.  One went straight and the other turned right and parted ways. All  of a sudden, my little guy grabs a book off the shelf before I can see what it was and starts running, and I mean running, towards his big brother, with the book in hand.  Repeatedly shouting his name in a loud whisper, trying to get his big brother’s attention, he waved the book overhead.

He handed it off to his brother only to receive the biggest smile ever!  It was the newest book in a series he loves and had been waiting for its release for quite some time.  I don’t know what was more exciting to see: Witnessing my little guy thinking of his brother and wanting him to have something he wanted so badly and the fact that he knew enough about what his brother reads to recognize the new book or seeing the smile on the face of my oldest when he realized his weekend was now going to be filled with 10 hours of reading his new book.  It was just a wonderful moment and makes me so proud of them.

Yes they love to play video games and go swimming, be with friends and the like, but having them both be content on the couch with blankets tucked under their chins, the fireplace on and their noses buried in a book couldn’t make me happier.  Nothing pleases me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails