We inherited a chair from my parents that worked perfectly for us for quite some time. We kept it in the basement until recently when we purchase new furniture for the kid’s “hang out” area. We slid it out of the way and over into the corner and there it sat for several months. I tried to sell it on Craig’s List and had no takers. Not one.
So, when a donation truck agency called before Christmas to see if we had any good reusable items to donate, I said, “YES!” They arranged to have a large item truck make its way to our home to find a new home for the loved (might I add “oversized”) green plaid chair. Martha said she would make a reminder call to us the night before to make sure our item was ready for pick up. I was thrilled.
Well, yesterday the reminder call came. We needed to have the chair out in front of the house no later than 8:00AM. No problem. (Or at least that’s what I thought at the time.)
Our oldest son and my husband headed to the basement all smiles at the easy task ahead.
They set it on its end and began to slowly bring it up one step at a time. They made it to the doorway and then…well, let’s just say it didn’t fit.
Attempt Number One = FAIL
They stood looking at the way in which it was wedged in the stairwell and then my oldest said, “Dad, I’ve got this. Go back down and let’s move it on the other end and then it will fit.”
“If you say so, let’s try it,” said my husband.
“Watch out for the light. Wait. You’re about the scrape the ceiling. You better go back down. It’s stuck over the railing now. Watch out for the light!” I said.
Attempt Number Two = FAIL (frustration starting to build)
Attempt Number Three = FAIL (let’s just say, everyone was on edge without yelling)
Attempt Number Four = FAIL (no comment)
Our son wasn’t going to give up and neither were we, although we didn’t have much choice as it was now wedged (pretty tightly I might add) between the door frame and the wall. So close, yet so far.
What I thought would take three minutes, actually ended up taking thirty. Yes, thirty long grueling minutes trying to maneuver the awkward, oversized green plaid chair out of the basement.
Finally, straight up the stairs it came for try number five, when it went right through the doorway and onto the floor.
Attempt Number Five = SUCCESS
It was out of the basement and for the life of me have no idea how the movers ever got it down there in the first place. It was one more attempt shy of being cut apart and made into firewood. I’m not joking. That chair owes us its life right now.
The two of them carried it to the side of the house and I marked it for the donation truck (all the while I was secretly hoping someone would steal it overnight and it be gone forever). The deed was done.
The best part of the ordeal, was that we did it without getting upset, or too frustrated with it and looked at it as a family task accomplished with teamwork. Job well done.
By 9:30AM this morning, it was gone and on a truck to a new land, far, far away. I just hope the new owners have a double door entry!
No comments:
Post a Comment