I shook my finger at a teenage driver yesterday. Shook it hard and looked her right in the eye when we got to the stoplight. I even switched lanes so she could have a clear look of my face and head shake at her. My eyes said, “Don’t you dare do that ever again!”
She was driving slowly and a little too close to my lane, when I slowed down and got behind her to avoid being hit. She continued to drive a little haphazardly in her lane and then a little into the next lane, so I decided to pass her. When I did, I saw that she was texting with both hands and steering with her knees, at least I hope she was steering with her knees!
![]() |
| photo credit |
It really upset me. We were on a busy street within 10 minutes of two schools that had just let out of their school day. Kids were along the sidewalks everywhere. I switched lanes and got up next to her and shook my finger at her and acted like I was texting with both hands. The light turned green and away she went.
I’m not a big advocate and don’t normally spout off about this or that, but texting and driving really pushes my buttons. I hardly even “talk” on my phone when I’m driving let alone text. (I’m usually parked or waiting somewhere when I do talk in the car, so don’t be surprised if my kids answer because I don’t want the distraction.)
It really upset me to see a young lady, maybe 16, risking her life as well as many others while she finger pecked away.
I think we should be allowed to call a special phone line and report the license plate number and our “observation” of their texting. The owner of the vehicle could then receive an automated voicemail indicating the “observation” and perhaps spark a conversation with their child.
It’s dangerous and we know it, yet so many continue to do it. What will it take to create an awareness of the dangers? Graphic videos? Someone you know die in an accident involving texting? Hitting a tree? What will it take, especially for teens to realize that it is almost as dangerous as drinking and driving?
If you have teenage drivers (and we have one, yet to get on the road however) please choose to have a conversation with them about it. Again and again and again. Tell them of my recent observation, explain the consequences, etc. Just keep the subject in front of them.
Please.
And, if you ever, EVER, see my child texting and driving, you have my permission to shake you finger at him AND call us to let us know.

No comments:
Post a Comment