Monday, January 9, 2012

I Did It!

I did it.
I. Really. Did. It.

I’m not here to toot my horn in your space, really I’m not, but I’m busting at the seams and just want to share the experience of reaching a goal I set for myself (which truly I did not believe I’d be able to accomplish) and how it feels to say I crossed the finish line. 

On August 15, 2011, my boys started back to school after a wonderful summer break.   I dropped them off and rode with two sweet friends for our annual “Yeah, The Kids Are Back At School” breakfast at a wonderful restaurant.  

We ate and laughed and ate some more and then one of my friends said she was leaving after our breakfast and going straight to Weight Watchers to sign up and lose some weight.  We chatted about it and then on the spur of the moment, I decided I would join her.  What could it hurt?  Being accountable to someone else, going to a meeting to boost our motivation and having the tools to meet a goal couldn’t be that difficult, right?

We attended the meeting, signed up and walked out ready to conquer our waistbands.

Well, today, 148 days later, I have met my goal weight.  

I did it.
I. Really. Did. It.

I am giddy beyond words but probably not for the reason you think.  Yes, I am thrilled to have lost twenty pounds and believe you me, it feels physically amazing to be more fit, healthy and comfortable in my own skin.  It feels wonderful.

But, it’s the confidence and the self-worth that I’ve gained and the smile that has now stayed on my face and how I feel I can do anything, and I mean anything, if I put my mind to it.  It was more about changing the negative self-talk I was chattering inside to myself. It became about valuing myself and knowing that I deserve to feel this way.

It changed my thinking about so many things. I also realized that I am a bit more competitive than I thought I was; at least with myself.  Having the goal dangle out in front of my eyes as I stepped onto the scale really motivated me.   (I hadn’t known my actual weight for over eleven years.)  I’ve never been one of those to worry about a number.  And, I still won’t.  For me, it’s about feeling good about myself and comfortable in my own skin and the way that feeling spills over into the rest of my life that I want to maintain, not a size on the dress label (although you may just happen to see my tag sticking out “accidentally” once or twice just for fun.)

I hope that whatever challenges you face, you will stare them right in the face and know you will emerge on the other side of those challenges one day.  You are valuable. You are worthy. You already have the strength inside you and just need to trust that it will carry you through it. Believe you can.  Show the effort.  Be consistent.  Forgive yourself when necessary.  I know you can do anything you believe you can do.  I believed, gave my all, was consistent each day and most certainly had to forgive myself along this little journey of mine, but….

I did it.
I. Really. Did. It.




4 comments:

  1. You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone! I feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so happy! You are a great motivator! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Stephani! Congratulations. I'm so excited and happy for you! I'm hoping my stress will ease up in the next 3 or 4 weeks and then I've got to tackle my own weight. Thanks for the motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails