Going to the bookstore is a spiritual experience for me with all the subjects to explore and the inspiration oozing from the shelves. I love it and probably more than I should and have the receipts to prove it. My inspiration is purely visual, so with all the book covers to eye, I get lost in the sea of colors and creative ways to use a bird’s silhouette on a book jacket. When I see a book I’m attracted to for either its title or artwork, I automatically pick it up and read the inside book flap. I am a Flapper. I must know if the story intrigues me or not and can usually decide by the time I get to the third sentence of the synopsis on the inside book flap.
If it takes place by the water, it earns one point. If it takes place in a small town, two points. If it’s about the simple life of years past, score. I’ll buy it. They lose points for weapons, city life, betrayal, divorce, murder or any modern day life themes. Not for me.
My mom is not a Flapper. She’s a Chapter One Sentence One. If it doesn’t grab her attention or she doesn’t like the style, then it goes back on the shelf. I need more information than that to make my decision. I can get used to a style of writing if the story is good and interesting to me, but I need to know where I’m headed. I don’t like sudden surprises and use the flap as my map to learn where the story will lead me. I count on the inside flap to whisper, “Please don’t leave me here. Take me home with you.”
Here’s the funny thing though, once the book has earned enough points to make its new home my nightstand, the book cover comes off and usually is tossed in the trash. Kind of ironic isn’t it? The very thing that drew me in, I so easily discard. (Unless of course the cover has a bird on it. I love a book with a bird on it.)
So, which are you? A Flapper or a Non-Flapper? Next time you’re at the library or book store, check to see if there are more Flappers or Non-Flappers. We’ll take an unofficial poll. My prediction is there are more Flappers than Non-Flappers. We shall see. In the meantime, happy Flapping!
I'm a flapper too. I enjoy a wide variety of writing styles - - - even if the writer choses not to bother with capitol letters. That's what makes some great writers so interesting...their style, that sets them apart from all the mediocre wanna-bes. Unlike you, I carefully remove the dust jacket when I get home - - read the book - - then put the dust jacket back where it belongs, around the book. Ready for the next lucky reader - a friend or family member usually....sometimes an EBAY customer. After all, you never know what the next reader may be: a flapper or a non-flapper.
ReplyDeleteGood point about the next reader of the book. I never thought of that!
ReplyDeleteI am both a flapper and a chapter 1, page 1. I like to read the synopsis to see if it is something I would be interested in (very similar to your style). However, I have to read that first page. That tells me if the writer's style is one I would enjoy reading. If I was in a pinch and could only pick one, it would be the chapter 1 page 1 reader.
ReplyDeleteI also like the dust jacket...a lot. I don't remove it, and I get upset if someone bends or tears it. My daughter is the opposite - she removes it for reading, but she puts it back after she's done