Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Little Change in Routine

Can you hear that?  Listen…I know.  It’s quiet.  School has officially started and the house is filled with a cool breeze, my wind chimes tinging and the soft rumble of the washing machine.   I know I’ll miss the boys in a few hours, but until then, I’m enjoying this silence.  I told myself I wasn’t going to do “work” today and just treat myself to the rocking chair and my book, but I’ve already cleaned house (and yes I did the bathrooms and mirrors) and folded two loads of laundry.   If I get that done first, the relaxing is so much more enjoyable.

As the boys head back to school this year, I’ve been trying to come up with some projects/ideas for me to tackle.   The list seems endless.  Of course there’s the house.  Having only been here for two months, there’s a lot to do, but it will come in due time.  No rush there. I mean a “me” type of project.  Learn to knit or paint.  Something like that.  Yoga’s not my thing, nor is Tai Chi (been there done that).  I love photography though. Perhaps I should take a class and learn about shutter speeds and auto focus features.  Hmmm. That’s a thought.

I do know that I have to take time for myself no matter what.  So many times at the end of a week, I look back and think of how busy it was, but realize that not much of that time was spent towards any personal goal.   I really need to be better about doing this.  It doesn’t take any time at all. Simply following through on it is where I always fall short. 

It’s so easy to get stuck in a routine.  I just need to make some little changes - a walk in the morning with my ipod - tea on the deck at sunset - reading on the floor.  Shake things up a little bit.  Maybe going off the worn path will lead me to a new idea or hobby, a new perspective, a new chance to try something new.

With that said.  I’m going to go switch the laundry, get my ipod and take a walk to explore my new neighborhood on foot. (Did the bike with the boys the other day and thought I’d die, so better stick with the feet on the ground this time.)  Perhaps I’ll discover something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails