My son informed me in a very plain English sort of way, “I am NOT going to wear that. All my friends will laugh AT me, not WITH me. I am NOT wearing that no matter what. Not gonna happen.”
There is a fine line, a very fine line, at 9 years old of what is perceived as “cool” in the 4th grade and what is “nerdy”. I tried to explain that it’s the trend of the season and there were 30 different types to choose from. They had the Superman logo, Batman cartoon “POW/BAM” shirts, Darth Vader light sabers and many more to choose from. He didn't care. He was not about to be caught dead or alive in it. Not gonna happen.
The confidence to stand out in a crowd and be you must come a little later on; maybe 6th grade, but definitely not 4th grade; at least not for my 4th grader. My 13 (very soon to be 14 year old) son however, thought it was very cool and wants me to just exchange it for his size and not return it, which I am on my way to do as soon as I finish this. For him, the line no longer exists. It’s how you wear it and the confidence you have in yourself. He got it. To him I was the "with it" mom I was trying so hard to be. My 9 year old just thought I was being mean and was more or less asking him to wear a pink Barbie shirt with ruffles on it.
Maybe by the end of the school year, he'll be willing to take a bit more of a risk. Unlikely, but there's always hope, right? For now though, I’m off to get a few more stripes and solids for his closet. Definitely won’t be coming home with any Yoda shirts anytime soon. Not gonna happen.
Isn't it interesting how the kids become aware of what's accepted (or not) in their peer group...almost seems like it happens overnight. I have an 11 year old daughter and around the 4th grade, she became distinctly aware of what would be accepted...or not. I always thought this was more of a "thing" with girls but apparently that's not the case. Mine is entering middle school and thankfully she is not ready to wear less, beg for make-up, or demand brand name things. Her only request: black converse shoes. I can live with that. p.s. I think the shirt is pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteFourth grade was the same way for me! There were things I was super obsessed with but never told my classmates! They were ruthless! But it got better!
ReplyDeleteAnd writing fuels my soul too...I'm a new follower!