Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Passion for Page Turning

I never read as a child that I can remember.  I’m sure I did, but don’t remember it as such.  In high school, I’m sure I had to read books for English class, but can’t recall off the top of my head what exactly.  In college, I read textbooks, cover to cover and didn’t have much leftover time to read for pleasure.  And, to be honest, it never really occurred to me to read for pleasure as silly as that sounds. 

Almost five years ago, I was asked to join a book club and thought it would be something I might enjoy and thought I’d give it a try.   Our first book was written by Jodi Picoult and was called “Songs of the Humpback Whale.”  I vaguely remember the story and that it was written in reverse (chronologically) if I remember correctly.   Well, five years later, I think it’s fair to say that I should own stock in Barnes and Noble and have quickly made up for lost time.

Reading has become a passion of mine now and almost always have a book in the car or in my purse “just in case” I have a few minutes to get to the next chapter.  I thoroughly enjoy reading and will read just about anything (or at least give it a good shot).  I have my favorite types of books however and they most regularly include the topics of small towns, nosy neighbors, some truth that needs to be revealed, faith and simple people leading simple lives.  I don’t normally enjoy anything law, or anything involving meat cleavers, dark alleys or creatures with green skin. 

I’m currently reading “Change of Heart” by Jodi Picoult, and honestly, cannot put it down.  It came to me via my mom, who has read since she was 4 and has probably read more books than all of us combined. Honest. 

If you aren’t a reader, I understand.  You don’t have to explain it to me. However, if you do enjoy this  page turning activity, then I will leave you with a short list of titles that I have found interesting, moving, uplifting, and about 10 more adjectives could be inserted here.  I hope there’s at least one on the list you haven’t read.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
The Shack by William Young
Between Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton
Beach Music by Pat Conroy
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails