I normally travel about once a year by plane, but over the last two weeks, I’ve actually been on 8 planes. That’s probably a record for me. I love traveling and the anticipation of getting on a plane and going somewhere. It’s uplifting for me to change my environment a bit and refresh my point of view.
When you travel, you see, hear and observer many types of people. I mean, MANY types. They come in all shapes and sizes, colors and styles, backgrounds and their reasons for travel vary greatly as well. We all know this.
I tend to be an observer when I fly and not much of a chatterer. I try to respect those around me and basically mind my own business. I read, look out the window or close my eyes. I don’t normally start up a conversation, but will respond if talked to. I just don’t want to bother anyone. Not everyone has this same traveling philosophy however.
During my travels these last few weeks, I have observed some unusual sorts, some beautiful souls and others who are in between. It’s filled my mind with many moments of entertainment and frustration all at the same time. So today, I thought I’d share with you some of my traveling tips. Keep in mind, I am not a regular plane traveler, but feel I am qualified enough to make some observations that may assist you in your future travel plans.
![]() |
| photo credit |
Stephani’s Travel Tips
-Print your boarding pass before you get in line to board the plane. The passengers behind you will appreciate you. Trust me.
-If your carryon bag requires two adults to lift it, it is not a carryon bag. Check it!
-Children need snacks, games, toys, blankets, books, drinks, diapers, etc. Do not make your two year old carry all these items and then watch them struggle down the aisle and fuss at them to hurry up. It makes everyone dislike you quickly.
-If you’re not sitting directly beside your travel partner, this does not qualify you for a “talk to them over the seats for the entire trip pass.” Remain silent.
-If the plane is boarding and you’re sitting in an aisle seat, and the two seats are still empty next to you, do not put your tray table down and start eating the lunch you brought on board and put your coat and purse/briefcase on the empty seats. Does not make a good first impression.
-If there is turbulence, hold your cup of hot coffee. Please
-If you didn’t bring reading material, you are not allowed to read your seat partner’s reading material, while they are reading it. It’s creepy.
-Your child should only kick the seat in front of them once. Once.
I hope you’ll remember these tips for your next flight and if you happen to sit next to me, I will smile politely and say hello, but we probably won’t be best friends by the end of the flight. Happy travels.

Oh yes, very good tips indeed! I agree with you whole-heartedly on every single point! It just seems like there is very little common courtesy left in the world. That is one thing we stress constantly with our kids. Common courtesy truly is a virtue! And WOW! 8 planes! That IS a lot in such a short time. :)
ReplyDelete