Thursday, June 24, 2010

Be

Everyday I am thankful for the life that I have been given and try to live up to my potential that I know I have.  Some days I am present in that thought and when I am, my day is more productive, more enjoyable and peaceful.  Since we moved into our new home, one of my goals has been to slow down and just “be” and experience all that life has to offer. 

Time goes by so quickly and before I know it, my boys will be independent young men.  I need to enjoy their sense of humor, their socks on the floor and their special requests for egg rolls just after the dinner dishes are all cleaned up.   I tend to be so caught up in my own little agenda for the day, that I miss out on some of those little things.  I get “annoyed” that their socks are on the floor, only a foot away from their laundry basket. Why?   Perhaps my constant need for order blurs my vision?  I don’t like that I do that.  I need to try and be more tolerant of the bends and turns in the day and just let them come when they come.  

Think about it.  If you take the back roads somewhere instead of the interstate, you see things you might not normally see.  The cute little farm with the white cows or the picnic table that sits near a little pond or the lemonade stand run by six-year olds on a summer day.   This path is almost always more enjoyable.  The pace is slower and people wave at you as you pass them by.  The interstate is filled with fast paced trucks and noise and no one smiles at you, that’s for sure.

In a world of hurry, hurry, hurry, we are expected to never stop.  When what we really should be doing is slowing ourselves down, being present in each moment, and enjoying what is ours for the taking.   So, instead of hurrying to paint the three bedrooms, I need to sit on a blanket under the tree and watch the boys practice hitting baseballs and sip my sun tea.  The rooms aren’t going anywhere, but the boys are growing by the minute.  Be.  Today, I'm just going to “be”. 



1 comment:

  1. Didn't you learn that lesson from watching Cars 8 million times, like me? ;) I agree, let's just be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails