Life isn’t perfect. Why then do we do our best to present ourselves in this way, when we all know that our lives are filled with ups and downs, clean and dirty, left and right? I actually took twenty minutes today to catch up on some of the blogs I follow and found this to be a theme in their posts. It was very refreshing to read and perhaps that’s why I follow some of them. Their authenticity is what I find appealing. They are like me. They try hard at their various jobs/roles but some days are just better than others. My life is wonderful, interesting, but in no way perfect. So, I’m letting you take a sneak peak into my real reality. Just this once of course.
I have food in Tupperware containers in my fridge that should have been thrown out a few days ago, but just haven’t done it. Lazy I guess.
There are some days that I feel that I should be doing more with my boys. Yes, I try to teach lessons (more than they would like) and make sure they are fed and busy, but now that they are so independent, I feel like I lack in the “just hang out with them” department and chat.
There are dishes in my sink almost every day. I have yet to figure out, after 20+ years, when to unload/load and time it right so that the dishwasher is empty when meals are done.
I have a junk basket filled with everything from receipts, lost buttons, straws, hard candy and old pictures that needs to be cleaned out and sorted, but I never do it. (I could tell you what’s in it though.)
The stuff under my bed is all mine. A lap-type book rest, and two small work out weights.
Some days I feel like I just don’t fit in. I know lots of people and have many friends, but there are days that I feel like the girl on the playground that no one asks to join in the hopscotch game.
I miss our good friends in Minnesota and think of them very often and should call them more than I do.
At least once a month, I just want to stay in bed and not get up for whatever reason; lack of sleep, sadness, procrastination of the inevitable or what have you.
I used to send birthday cards to all my nieces and nephews and have slacked on that over the years.
I’m not good at water conservation, AT ALL. I take a bath almost every night and shower in the morning, keep the water on when I brush my teeth and run the kitchen faucet to rinse a glass and forget to shut it off.
I am a sucker for a cute book cover and will buy a book whether I need it or not.
So there you have it, my reality and all its imperfections. I’m sure you can relate and have something under your bed as well. As I get older, I realize that it’s ok to be honest about yourself. That’s the first thing I’m attracted to in any friend I’ve ever had. They are who they are, good and bad and accept it 100%. I don’t think I’ve ever really been like that, but have always wanted to be more like that. This is a small attempt to try and embrace all in myself that is not polished and tidy. Here’s to reality and all that it REALly is.
I loved this post, Stephani. I can totally relate, although it's hard for me to pretend anymore. Nothing's perfect around here! Sometimes I don't think it's that we're trying to hide the reality as much as we're trying to ignore it. And sometimes I think that's okay. Sometimes we have to "fake it 'til we make it" in order to improve.
ReplyDeleteI agree. There are days when life is just life and others when life is also life. I accept both with open arms!
ReplyDelete