Monday, November 14, 2011

Photo A Day: Day 28 (Color) One Piece At A Time

A few Wednesday's ago, when a snow day was declared for our district, my youngest son and I decided to put together a puzzle, which we hadn't done together in a very long time.  Actually, I think the last puzzle we put together was an Elmo puzzle.  He's now just three weeks shy of 11, so you know it's been a while since he loved Elmo (although I have a secret crush on him and find him to be adorable).  

We dumped the box of pieces and started to turn them all face up and then began to sort by color.  It was a puzzle of three cats sitting beside each other and it quickly became difficult to discern between the calico and the grey fur staring back at us.  

The border went together fairly quickly and then the work began. 

A piece here...

A piece there...

It was a slow process.  About an hour or so into it, my son decided he needed a break.  All the pieces looked the same to him and he couldn't find the one he was looking for, so walked away from the table for a bit (ok, maybe a few hours; after all it was a snow day and a kid's got things to do.) 

After the tent building and xbox playing got boring, he came back in to the table and started again. Skimming over the pieces looking for just the right one that had a little tip of red on the left corner and the rest of it all black, except for a tiny smudge of whisker on the upper right hand side.  "Yes! I got it."

He was so proud of himself for even finding one piece after searching for so long.   The thrill of the hunt.

I find myself at this time of my life staring at all the puzzle pieces in front of me and wondering what the puzzle will look like when all the pieces are in their place.  Life is a journey of putting one piece of the puzzle in at a time.  We try one that looks like it fits and then realize the corner has an angle on it and it doesn't snap into place.  We pick up another one until finally, "Yes! I got it," happens for us.   It is a slow process (so slow sometimes it feels as if we're actually walking backwards).   

But, (there's always a but isn't there?)

If we stay determined, consistent and dedicated to putting the pieces in their place, then one day, when we least expect it, that final piece snaps in and the picture is clear.   The end result can be beautiful, but the process of searching for the right piece can also be valuable as well.  

Take time today to enjoy putting the pieces into your puzzle one piece at a time.


2 comments:

  1. I love that your son wanted to put a puzzle together with you. I love doing those things and spending time like that with my kids also. :)

    Your analogy is so good and I hadn't thought of our life's journey in that way before so I loved it! You write SO well! I just love your blog.

    I hope you have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, You're so kind with our compliments. They really lift me up. I'm glad you had a few minutes to stop by today. I hope you have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails